Sabudana Vada or sabbaki vade or sago vada is a traditional deep fried snack from Maharashtra, served with coconut or green chutney with hot cup of masala tea 🙂 or coffee.
Ingredients for making sabudana vada:
- 1 cup seeme akki/ sabudana
- water – to soak the sabbakki
- 1 tsp salt
- chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup peanuts/ground nuts
- 4 to 6 green chillies
- 1 small onion(optional)
- 1 medium size potato(cooked)
- oil to fry
You can make around 25 vadas.
- Soak the sabbakki with enough water, cover it and keep it aside for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, drain the water and then keep it aside for another 2 hours
- After 2 to 3 hours- check the sabbakki, it has to be soft, if it is not soaked properly then sprinkle some water and keep it aside for few more minutes.
- Finely chop onion and green chillies.
- Dry roast the peanuts on medium low heat until it turns golden brown , let it cool. Then remove the skin and grind it to a coarse powder.
- After 2 to 3 hours – add salt, chopped coriander leaves, chopped onion to the sabbakki.
- Mash the potato with hand add that to the mix along with the peanut powder. Mix it until all combined.
To Fry The Sabbakki Vada:
- Heat enough oil in a pan or banale on medium heat.
- Take small portions of the mix, make it a ball and then flatten it. wet your hand it needed.
- Once the oil is hot (check by adding little mix to the oil it has to come up immediately), reduce the heat to medium low. Slowly put the prepared vadas one by one.
- After some time slowly flip the vadas to the other side and fry it until both sides turn golden brown.
- Once it turn golden brown on both the sides, remove it from the oil using a ladle onto a colander
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining mix