The sweet dates tamarind chutney is not just chutney for chats, it is multipurpose. I use this sweet chutney as a salad dressing over winter greens, cucumber and carrot salad. My daughter loves this spread with corn chips as a dip. It also makes a great taco sauce. Be sure to try this chutney with puffed riced, it is simply delicious.
Any street foods/Chaats calls for the sweet chutney. Here is the healthy sweet chutney recipe with perfect sourness from tamarind, sweet from iron rich dates and jaggery.
- small lemon sized tamarind
- 10 to 15 Pitted dates
- 2 cup water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp dry red chilli powder or rasam Powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 TBSP jaggery
- Wash and soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Dry roast the cumin seeds and fennel seeds and powder it using mortar and pestle.
- Cook the pitted dates along with 1 cup of water about 10 to 15 min.
- Let it cool completely.
- Grind the dates to a fine paste along with the water and transfer this to a pan.
- To this squeeze the tamarind pulp. Add the roasted jeera and saunf powder, and jaggery
- along with red chili or rasam powder and salt.
- let it boil until you get the desired consistency and then turn off the heat.
- You can prepare this chutney ahead of time and freeze it as cubes, you can use it as and when you need it.
- Jaggery quantity depends on the sourness of tamarind so add accordingly.
- If you feel the chutney is very sweet add more tamarind juice.
- You can skip saunf/sompu