Beetroot Sambar or beetroot huLi recipe with detailed video instruction.
Sambar is one of the staple dish in our home. using variety vegetables and variation in the masala makes it more tasty and interesting dish every time. Here is simple yet delicious Beetroot sambar using rasam powder.
For other interesting , nutritious and delicious sambar recipes CLICK HERE ON SAMBAR RECIPES
Ingredients for making beetroot sambar:
1 cup = 250ml
- 2 beetroots (Wash and peel the skin then cut into small cubes, may be around 1.5cm cubes)
- ¾ cup toor dal (wash the dal)
- ½ tsp jaggery(optional)
- small key lime size/gooseberry sized tamarind soaked in water
- 1/4 tsp oil
- less than 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp saarina pudi/ rasam powder(click on rasam powder for the recipe )
- 4 to 4.5 cups of water
- 2 to 2¼ tsp salt of salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp rice
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 to 4 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 byadgi red chillies
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of hing
- 1 to 2 broken red chili pieces
- I am using pressure cooker to make the sambar, you can directly cook in the pressure cooker or use a container to cook the pressure cooker.
- wash the toor dal in the pressure cooker,add 3 cups of water along with cut beetroots,
- turmeric powder, oil, sarina pudi / rasam powder, curry leaves, and 1 tsp salt, mix it well.
- Pressure cook this on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 1 whistle.
- heat little oil in a ladle on medium heat, fry rice, coriander seeds and chillies until the rice turns white and chillies becomes warm. Then add the grated coconut. Turn off the heat.
- Grind the masala by adding water to a relatively coarse paste
- Once the cooker is cooled completely, add the masala, jaggery, and add enough water.
- Squeeze the tamarind and add it to the sambar, add remaining salt, and mix it. Let it boil on medium low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a ladle on medium heat, once the oil is hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add red chillies and turn off the heat.
- add the seasoning to the huLi/sambar, mix it.