bolu huLi is very popular sambar recipe from udupi mangalore region. simple sambar recipe with no coconut and no grinding as well. Easy to make huLi or koddel meaning huLi ,
Here we have bolu huLi using brinjal or badanekayi / egg plant. This bolu huli is prepared using a particular eggplant variety called Mattu gulla. If available use that or you can use any green brinjal. You can prepare this with Mangalore cucumber , ladies finger/okra,
This also one of the huLi served in that udupi mangalore temples.
Ingredients for making bolu huli:
- 2 Udupi badanekayi / Mattu gulla brinjal /
- 1/3 cup toor dal or little more than 1/4 cup toor dal
- around 2.5 cups of water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil for cooking the eggplant/badanekayi
- 1/4 tsp for cooking brinjal
- 1/2 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder(1/4 tsp for cooking the dal and 1/4 tsp for cooking the badanekayi
- 4 green chillies (slit or chopped)
- if you want the sambar to be spicy add 1 tsp jeerige menasina powder
- few curry leaves
- chopped coriander leaves
- key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- little jaggery
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Little hing
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with turmeric powder, 1 to 1¼ cup water, little oil on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 3 whistles.
- Wash and cut the brinjal as shown in the video and keep it in water
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a pan on medium low heat
- once the oil is hot add 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds, after it pops add turmeric powder
- mix it and add cut brinjal, mix it, cover it and cook it for few minutes, Make sure to stir in between
- once the brinjal is 3/4 cooked add tamarind extract, salt, jaggery and mix it well.add little hing/asafetida, let it boil for a minute.
- once this starts to boil, add cooked dal. add some water as well.
- add green chillies, curry leaves, mix it well. and let it be cooking on medium low heat
- if you need more spicy add jeerigemenasina pudi or 1 or 2 more green chillies, allow it to boil for
- 4 to 5 minutes,
- it’s been 5 minutes, huLi is ready, the consistency should be like regular sambar.
- finally add chopped coriander leaves, turn off the heat .
Now for seasoning:
- Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a ladle,
- add the prepared seasoning to the huLi and serve the sambar with rice.