Heerekai thove or ridge gourd thove is easy side dish goes well with rice, chapati. This is more like a dal with flavor from Ridge Gourd. EIther you can use toor dal or moong dal.
Ingredients for making heerekai Thove:
- 2 medium size ridge gourd/heerekai
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- lime or lemon juice
- chopped coriander leaves
- few curry leaves
- around 3 cups of water
To cook the toor dal:
- 1/3 to 1./2 cup toor dal / Togari bele
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder to cook the dal
- 1/4 tsp oil for cooking the dal
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 4 green chillies (more or less)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of hing
- Crush the ginger and keep it ready
- Wash the ridge gourd and peel the skin. Cut into small pieces
- Cook this on medium heat with some water(may be 1/2 cup to 1 cup)
- Wash and pressure cook the toor dal along with 1 to 1 1/4 cup water, turmeric powder , and oil on medium heat . Turn off the heat after 3 whistles. Let it cool
- Grind coconut, jeera, chillies to a fine paste. adding enough water
- To the cooked ridge gourd add masala, add little water and mix it well.
- Once it starts to boil, add cooked dal, crushed ginger, and salt. mix it well and let it boil for 5 to 6 minutes. Add water if needed, The consistency should be like sambar.
- After 5 to 6 minutes,.. add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat. Then squeeze the lemon /lime.
- Heat the ghee in ladle on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera and hing. Turn off the heat
- Add the seasoning to thove. Ridge gourd thove is ready and serve it with rice.