Horse gram Saaru/ Rasam and Palya/Usli/Sundal is one of my family’s favorite foods. This is a two in one dish – we will be making Rasam and and it’s side dish with a common main ingredient, Horsegram.Horse Gram is rich in minerals, especially iron, calcium and phosphorus. On the vitamin side, it is very rich B-Complex. Since it falls into the legume family, it is rich in both fiber and proteins. It is also contains polyphenols and antioxidants.Horse gram is very beneficial for patients with ulcer, diarrhea, hemorrhoids/Piles.Horse gram is a great diuretic. Horse gram is documented in Ayurveda to be beneficial to patients with respiratory issues, including Asthma and Bronchitis.Reduces Acidity and is excellent home remedy for rheumatic pain.
We already have sprouted huruli Bassaru and Palya recipe, this is another recipe with our soaking and sprouting the Gram.
- 1 cup horse gram/huruli kaalu
- ¾ cup grated coconut(½ cup for coconut milk and ¼ cup for grinding)
- Lemon size tamarind soaked in water
- ½ to ¾ TBSP ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 ½ to 1 ¾ TBSP saarina pudi/Rasam Powder
- Around 1 TBSP Salt
- 2 to 4 TBSP jaggery
- ½ lemon
- 8 to 9 cups water
- Few Curry leaves
- Little chopped coriander leaves
- Make sure there are no stones or dirt in the horsegram. Then wash it thoroughly.
- Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook this on medium high heat and let it whistle 8 to 10 times.
- Once the pressure reduces completely, open the cooker lid and drain the water to a pan .
- Again add 2 cups of water to the cooked horsegram and cook it once again on stovetop for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat. If needed add more water.
- Again drain the water to the same pan.
- Grind ¾ cup of cooked horsegram, ¼ cup coconut, add little drained water and grind it to a fine paste. Add rasam powder and grind it.
- Add this paste to the pan with the water from the cooked horsegram along with curry leaves, salt, jaggery and tamarind juice extract.
- Allow it to boil on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- To prepare the coconut milk, add water to the remaining coconut, then squeeze the milk to a separate bow. Add water 2 to 3 times and extract all the milk.
- After 8 minutes add coconut milk, boil it for a minute and turn off the heat.
To prepare the seasoning:
- Heat the ghee in a ladle, once it is hot enough add mustard seeds, once the seeds pops add cumin seeds, hing, and turn off the heat. Add this to the saaru.
- Finally squeeze the lemon juice and Huruli saaru is ready to eat.