Mangalore cucumber sambar Southekayi huLi recipe – detailed video instructions.
Mangalore southekayi or Mangalore cucumber sambar is one of the popular sambars served in Mangalore Udupi temples. Though the ingredients list looks too big, it is easy once you start doing the sambar. Try this delicious sambar with rice.
Try this another cucumber sambar with Mangoes CUCUMBER MANGO SAMBAR
Ingredients: 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 yellow cucumber/sambar cucumber
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder(add while you cook the cucumber)
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- ¾ tbsp salt or salt to taste
- little coriander leaves
- ½ cup toor dal / togari bele
- ¼ turmeric powder (add while cooking the dal)
- small keylime size tamarind soaked in water
- 1 to 1. 5 tbsp jaggery( we need little more compared to other sambar)
- 5 to 6 cups water
- 1 tsp coconut oil( preferred)
- ½ tsp urad dal/split black gram
- ½ tsp chana dal split bengal gram
- 1 tbsp for masale and ½ tsp add while grinding the masala
- ½ tsp methi seeds
- ½ tsp rice
- 8 byadagi red chillies and
- 3 guntur red chillies
- 10 curry leaves
- pinch of hing
- Roasted masale
- ¼ cup or more grated fresh coconut
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera
- 1 dried chilli
- pinch of hing
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with 1.5 cups of water, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and little oil on medium heat. Turn of after 2 to 3 whistles.
- Wash and cut the cucumber into medium sized cubes as shown.discard the seeds along with the soft part attached to seeds,(most of the times this part will be bitter to taste )
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a big pan on medium heat, once hot add 1/2 tsp m ustard seeds,
- after the mustard seeds pops add cucumber pieces, saute it for a minute, then add a cup of water and cover it and cook it.
- make sure to mix it in between and check for water( if needed add some)
- Once the cucumber is 3/4 cooked, add the tamarind extract, jaggery and 1/4 of the salt, remaining turmeric powder. Mix it, cover it and cook this .
- heat 1 tsp of coconut oil on medium low heat. once hot add methi seeds,
- Then add dals, chillies, curry leaves, fry it for 1/2 minute and then add rice, hing, and fry it until the dals turns golden brown
- now the dals turned golden brown, add coriander seeds. frty it for 20 to 25 seconds, then turn off the heat. add coconut, mix it and let it cool.
- Grind the masala along with raw 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, and water to a coarse paste.
- Now to the cooked cucumber add the masala, cooked dal, enough water, few curry leaves, remaining salt and mix it well .
- Let it cook on medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, if the sambar /huLi is thick add more water to get the desired consistency.
- It is been 5 minutes now, the samabr is done, turn off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, hing and finally red chillies, turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the sambar, mix it. Serve it with rice.