Mixed Vegetable kootu with step by step video instructions. -Delicious, healthy kannada style style kootu with coconut and spices. As the name says- it has mixed vegetables like beans, pumpkin, carrot, peas, and you can use any vegetables of your choice along with toor dal. With the fresh grind masale, the tastes wonderful. This is the traditional; festival recipe.
This Kootu is served with rice or rotis.
The other Kootu recipe you can try is Cabbage Kootu:
Ingredients for mixed vegetable kootu
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1/2 tsp oil ( for cooking the toor dal)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp peanuts/shenga beeja
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas( or soak 2 tbsp of dried peas)
- 1/2 cup cut carrot
- 1/2 cup cut beans
- 1/2 cup cut potatoes
- 1/2 cup cut sweet pumpkin(sihikumbala kayi)
- 2 tsp oil(coconut oil is recommended)
- 3 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal /kadle bele
- 6 to 8 byadagi red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 15 pepper
- small key lime size tamarind(soak it in 1/4 cup water)
- 3/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- 15 to 20 curry leaves
- 1 to 2 tsp jaggery
- around 4 to 5 cups water
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 byadagi red chilli(broken into few pieces)
- Wash the dal and take this in one of the cooker container adding 1.5 cup of water, oil and turmeric powder, And in a different container add all vegetables except pumpkin and peas, add 1/4 cup water
- Pressure cook these on medium heat for 2 to 3 whistles. then turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Take peas and pumpkin in a big pan, add water and keep this on medium heat.
Masale for the Kootu:
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat,add dals, red chillies, after a minute add pepper, fry it.
- Once the dals turns golden brown, add coriander seeds, fry it for few seconds and turn off the heat, Mix it for few seconds to avoid dals turning black!
- Once the pumpkin and peas are cooked , transfer these to the cooked vegetable
- Transfer masala paste to the pan, add salt, jaggery, tamarind extract, and curry leaves. Mix it and allow it to boil on medium heat
- When this masala starts to boil, add the cooked dal, mix it allow it to coil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Finally add the cooked vegetables and let it boil for just 1 minute. consistency of the kootu will little thick, add water until you get this consistency.
- After a minute turn off the heat,