Papaya huli / parangi kayi HuLi recipe
Parangikai or papaya is very healthy, nutritious vegetable you should incorporate in your diet. here is the simple huLi or sambar recipe.
Ingredients for making papaya huLi:
- 1 small papaya
- 1/4 cup toor dal/togari bele
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder( for cooking the dal and for masala)
- 1 tsp oil (little for cooking the dal and remaining for the masala)
- 1.5 tbsp peanuts/groundnuts
- keylime size tamarind soaked in water
- little jaggery
- 1/2 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- few curry leaves and little coriander leaves
- around 4 cups of water
- 3 byadagi red chillies
- 3 guntur red chillies
- little less than 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp split bengal gram /chana dal
- 1/4 tsp split black gram /urad dal
- 1/4 tsp menthya
- 2 pinches of hing(1 for masala and 1 pinch for seasoning)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with 1 cup of water,turmeric powder, little oil on medium heat and turn off the heat after 3 whistles. Let it cool
- heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan on medium low heat, once hot add methi seeds, fry it for few secomds, add red chillies, dals
- When the dals turn golden yellow add coriander seeds, turmeric powder and and hing. mix it and turn off the heat.
- Once the masala is cooled, powder the masala, then add coconut and little water and grind it to a paste
- Wash the papaya, trim the ends and peel the skin, cut the papaya into half and scoop the seeds and cut into into small pieces
- Cook the papaya with 1 cup of water in a pan along with washed peanuts
- once the papaya is 3/4 cooked add the masala, add some water, mix it well. add curry leaves, add tamarind extract, salt. Jaggery, cooked dal, and enough water. to get the right consistency .
- Mix it well and boil on medium low heat for 5 to 6 minutes
- after 5 to 6 minutes, Papaya sambar is ready, add chopped coriander leaves/cilantro, turn off the heat.
- Heat the ghee in ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, hing, Them Turn off the heat.
- add the seasoning to the huLi, and mix it well.Papaya Sambar is ready, Serve with rice.