Kayi Sasive Avalakki | Coconut Mustard Poha
Kayi Saasive avalakki Coconut Mustards Poha – is very traditional south Canara breakfast dish. Very simple to make with very few ingredients. As the mustard seeds are one of the main ingredients I should mention few health benefits of these tiny seeds. It has almost all Vitamins like A, B1, B2, B3, B6, Vitamin E, K, along with calcium,potassium , phosphorous and much more. Mustard seeds aids in digestion, it is antiseptic, and antiviral. No wonder our ancestors were using this seeds in their everyday meals!
Now to the recipe: Kayi Sasive Avalakki with the rich flavor of mustard and taste of coconut, super delicious and healthy breakfast food. This is No onion No Garlic Recipe.
Other Avalakki Recipe check our AVALAKKI RECIPES
Ingredients for kayi sasive Avalakki:
- 3 cup medium avalakki
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil for taste
- 4 guntur and 4 byadagi red chillies
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ cup fresh coconut
- pinch of hing
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds (½ tsp for grinding and ¼ tsp for seasoning)
- ½ tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp peanuts/ground nuts
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- ¾ cup (½ cup coconut for grinding)
- chopped coriander leaves
- water to wash avalakki
- Wash and drain the water, don’t soak medium avalakki.
- Grind red chillies, ½ tsp mustard seeds.
- To this add hing, ¼ cup coconut, grind it.
- Heat the oil on medium heat once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it splutters add chana, urad dal, and peanuts, fry until the dals turn golden brown.
- Now add curry leaves, and add masala, add tamarind juice, turmeric powder, mix it well.
- Mix it until the oil leaves the masala mix, at this stage, add avalakki, mix it well. Cover it and let it cook for a minute.
- after a minute, remove the lid and mix it, add coconut oil, remaining coconut and coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat.
- Kayi sasive avalakki is ready to eat.