Banana payasa is very delicious, easy to make unique malnad dish. This is quick and easy dessert with nice aroma from the bananas.
For more varieties of payasa or kheer recipe CLICK HERE
Ingredients for banana payasa:
- 3 Bananas
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp ghee
- 15 to 20 raisins /ona draakshi
- 5 to 6 cashews broken into pieces
- 3 to 4 almonds (broken into pieces)
- ⅓ cup jaggery
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp poppy seeds / gasagase
- 1 cardamom
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups of water
- Chop the bananas keep it ready
- Dry roast the poppy seeds, grind this roasted poppy seeds along with cardamom, 1/4 cup coconut, little milk to a fine paste
- Melt the jaggery with 2 tbsp of water, turn off the heat.
- Take remaining coconut in a plate, add 1/2 cup warm water and squeeze the coconut milk. Use this coconut for rotti or palya
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium low heat , once hot add almond pieces, then cashews, and raisins. Fry it until the cashews turn golden brown and raisins puffs up, remove this to a plate
- keep the pan back on stove, to this ghee put the chopped bananas and fry it until it is cooked ( 1 to 2 minutes)
- Now add the coconut poppy seeds paste, add little water to the mixer jar and add that as well
- Mix it, once it starts to boil, strain the melted jaggery
- Once it starts to boil (after adding jaggery syrup) add the prepared coconut milk along with salt. Allow it to boil on low heat. it’s been boiling from past 10 minutes, turn off the heat and before adding milk leave it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add fried cashews and raisins. mix it and serve(payasa becomes thick after it is cooled completely)
NOTES AND TIPS:
- Other way of cooking banana: steam cook the banana, then grind it and follow the same procedure to make payasa.
- make sure you add milk after the payasa is done to avoid curdling of the payasa