Majjige saru /buttermilk rasam is as the name says rasam using buttermilk. It healthy and simple side dish. This is one of the Malnad recipes. Saaru is rasam is a must item in our everyday meal.My father used to say it is always good to start your meal with something liquid food like rasam rice, tambuli rice …before having the sambar or gojju which aids in the digestion. And always end with buttermilk rice.
Try this Karnataka style majjige saaru!
Looking for other saaru recipes? CLICK HERE
Ingredients for majjige saaru:
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped cilantro /coriander leaves to garnish
- 10 curry leaves
- First prepare the coconut milk by add warm water to the grated coconut. Leave it for few minutes.
- Squeeze the coconut milk from the mix . We are using only the coconut milk.
- Or you can grind it in a mixer or blender and extract the coconut milk.
- Mix coconut water, buttermilk and salt in a bowl. mix it. Rasam is almost ready ….
- Heat the ghee in a ladle on medium heat.
- Once it is hot enough, add hing, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once it pops add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the seasoning to the Rasam and Tasty majjige saru / buttermilk rasam is ready. You can drink as it is or eat with rice.