Akki rotti is extremely popular signature breakfast dish of Karnataka. Akki Rotti is unique breakfast dish made with healthy greens and spices. This healthy, delicious rice rotti is vegan and gluten free .
The basic akki rotti can be made with rice flour, chopped green chillies, coconut and onion. Creativity does not stop here when it comes to Akki Rotti preparation. Any of your favorite vegetables like carrot, cucumber, sweet potato, potatoes you name it, can be added to it , greens (soppugaLu) make it more flavorful.There are varieties of akki rotti. So create your own akki rotti and share your thoughts with us!
- 2 cup rice flour
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- Around ¾ cup chopped dill leaves/sabbasige soppu
- Around ½ cup methi leaves
- Finely chopped ½ inch ginger
- 1 tsp ajwain seeds
- 4 to 5 finely chopped green chillies
- Around 1½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp salt
- oil for making rotti and Iron skillet
Watch video for tips and instructions for making this Akki Rotti:
- Take all the ingredients in a big bowl ( except oil and water) and mix.
- Now slowly add water and mix the ingredients until you get a soft dough ( i used around 1 ¼ cup).
- Divide the dough into 18 to 20 equal parts.
Options to make rotti:
- You can banana leaves
- Or you can use 2 tava/kavali
- Or you can use banale/wok
- Or if you have only one tava
If you are using Banana leaves:
- Just warm the leaves, grease it and place the dough in the centre and press it gently to make a thin circle.( If the dough is sticking to the hand, grease the hand and then press). Make a hole in the center and few more around.
- Heat the greased tava on medium heat, transfer this prepared rotti onto the hot skillet, Pour the oil in the hole and around the edges too.
- After a minute or so flip it to the other side, and let it cook.
- If you want soft rotti, remove it early.
If you are using banale/wok:
- Grease the Banale generously. Take the dough and place it in the center.
- press it gently to make a thin circle.( If the dough is sticking to the hand, grease the hand and then press).
- Keep it on the stove on medium heat. Cover it and coot it until it turns golden brown.
- Turn off the heat and remove it after a minute.
- To make another rotti, wait until the wok/banale cools completely.
Using 2 Skillets:
- First, add a spoon of oil on the skillet and spread it around.
- Place the dough in the centre and press it gently to make a thin circle.( If the dough is sticking to the hand, wet the hand and then press).
- Now make a hole in the center and few more around. Pour the oil in the hole and around the edges too.
- Cover this rotti with a lid and place the skillet on the stove on a medium high heat.
- Once it becomes golden brown remove out the rotti (Usually takes 6 minutes).
- Meanwhile prepare the rotti in a same way on another skillet.
If you have only one skillet/tava then:
- After the first rotti is done,
- Turn the hot skillet upside down and run the cold water until the skillet cools down and then make the next rotti. ( be extremely careful while you follow this step)
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
- Serve hot with ghee, coconut chutney or chutney powder.