Heerekayi Dosa or Podi a traditional Mangalore dish, called as dosa which is sour, sweet and spicy. It is kind of Bonda with less oil and crispy outside! It is a great evening snack, or breakfast or as a side dish. One Dosa batter, you can prepare balekayi/ plantain, Ridge Gourd/Heerekayi, badane kayi/eggplant dose. And no need to ferment the batter.
- 1 each -Vegetables Balekayi, Badane kayi and heerekayi (or any one of the vegetable)
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 TBSP Chana dal
- 1½ to 2 TBSP Urad Dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1½ TBSP Coriander seeds
- Little tamarind (soaked in water)
- Dried red chillies(6 guntur and 6 byadagi)
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1 TBSP salt/salt to taste
- 1 to 2 TBSP jaggery powder
- around 1½ cup water
Also we need:
- Oil to make podi/dosa
- Wash and soak rice, dals, along with coriander seeds and jeera with 1½ cups of water for minimum 2 hours.
- Grind it to a fine paste adding chillies,turmeric powder, coconut,jaggery, salt, and soaked tamarind(you can squeeze the tamarind juice). Add water accordingly. Keep aside for minimum half an hour.
- Wash and peel the skin(heerekayi and Plantain), cut into small relatively thin circular disks.
- Grease and Heat the skillet on medium high heat.
- Transfer portion of the batter to a bowl, dip the cut vegetable discs one by one placing on hot skillet arranging them next to each other.(watch the video)
- Put the oil generously on and around the dosa, cover it and allow it to cook for few seconds
- Then flip the dose and drizzle more oil (if you like) And allow it to cook .
- Remove the dosa from the tava and again oil it and continue the same procedure with the remaining vegetable discs.