Moong dal Dhokla is easy to make healthy and delicious breakfast or snack!
Dhokla is very popular Gujarati snack. Healthy and tasty. It can be a breakfast, lunch or evening snack! Dhokla can be prepared many different ways and ingredients like besan, rava, rice rava and moong dal.
Here is the simple and healthy recipe of Moong dal or hesaru bele Dhokla .
For Dhokla batter:
- ½ cup moong dal
- ¾ cup ( ½ cup for making the seasoning and around ¼ cup to make the batter)
- Around ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of hing
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp Eno Fruit salt
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 to 4 green chillies
- Grease the plate or the container you are using for steam cook the dhokla and keep it ready.
- 3 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp jeera or cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp sesame seeds ( I skipped it because my son is allergic sesame seeds)
- 2 green chillies ( slit or chopped)
- 4 to 6 curry leaves ( finely chopped)
- 2 tsp to 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
For decoration or toppings:
- 1 to 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- Chopped cilantro or coriander leaves
- Wash and soak the split green gram or hesarubele for 3 to 4 hours or overnight
- Drain the water and grind this along with ginger, green chillies to a moderately coarse paste( not too fine or not too coarse) by adding 1 to 1.5 tbsp water.
- Transfer it to a bowl, add turmeric powder,salt and hing.
- Whisk it until the batter becomes fluffy and light.
- Before adding eno, keep the steamer with water on medium heat. If you are using the pressure cooker, add enough water and heat.
- Once you see the steam, add eno to the batter, put ½ tbsp water on it and mix it gently.
- Transfer this to a greased container and steam cook for 13 to 15 minutes and turn off,
- To check the dhokla is done, prick a fork in dhokla, nothing should stick to the fork.
- Heat the oil in pan, once hot add mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds pops add jeera, mix it, add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Once done add water, sugar and salt. Allow it to boil.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Transfer the Dhokla onto a plate, cut it using a knife to desired shape and size.
- Pour this seasoning water on top using a spoon on the whole dhokla.
- Decorate with coconut gratings, and cilantro/coriander leaves. Leave for 5 to 10 minutes for the better taste.
- Eat this with mint/green chutney or ketchup.