Akki Hittina Tambittu – recipe with detailed video instruction. During Nagarapanchami and mangala gowri festivals we make the tambittu with rice flour and jaggery and offer to god. The tambittu can be prepared in many different ways. This is one of the varieties my mother makes.
For more festival recipe HERE
Ingredients for making akki hittina tambittu:
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 4 to 5 cardamom (powder it)
- 1/2 cup water
Watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada
- Wash and soak the rice for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain the water and spread it on the towel.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, grind this rice to a fine powder(sieve it through a fine sieve)
- Now take the jaggery in a pan and add 1/2 cup water, heat it on medium low heat(clean it if the jaggery has impurities.)
- Once the jaggery syrup starts boiling add grated coconut and cardamom powder, allow it to boil more time.
- Once the syrup becomes thick and one string consistency ( This syrup should reach a thread-like consistency. To test, take some syrup in a spoon, touch it with your index finger, and gently press your finger against your thumb. When you separate your fingers, it should be like a thread) reduce the heat and add rice flour, mixing it slowly.
- Turn off the heat and mix it throughly. Cover it and leave it for 1 to 2 minutes, then take desired amount of this tambittu and make the ball/unde.