Puliyogare is an ever popular Iyengar dish, and is commonly given as prasadam at temples. This Instant Puliyogare Powder Recipe tastes exactly like that temple prasadam! Even though we can buy the MTR instant puliyogare mix, it is no question that homemade always tastes better. I should mention that it is also easy to prepare and tastes awesome. If you are traveling and and have the option to cook rice, this instant mix comes real handy. I can guarantee that there will be no compromise in the taste!
- big lemon size tamarind
- 1 TBSP chana dal
- 4 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- little less than 1 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 to 2 tsp oil
- 2 TBSP black sesame seeds
- 1.5 tsp black pepper
- little hing
- 4 Byadagi dried red chillies
- 4 guntur red chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1.5 TBSP urad dal
- 1 TBSP chana dal
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- curry leaves
- 2 red chillies broken into pieces
- Heat the pan and dry roast all the ingredients separately. Dry roast chana dal until it turns golden brown. Transfer it to a separate plate.
- Dry roast methi seeds until it pops and turns brown. Transfer it to a different plate.
- Likewise, dry roast Cumin seeds, sesame seeds, and Mustard seeds, and transfer it to a plate.
- Now keep the pan back, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add hing. Fry the black pepper, add red chillies. Once the chillies becomes warm, add coriander seeds, Mix it and turn off the heat and add the other dry roasted ingredients.(except sesame and chana dal)
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan and warm the tamarind. Allow it to cool.
- Once tamarind is cooled completely, powder it with chana dal. It is ok to have some small pieces of tamarind. Transfer it to a plate.
- Now grind the roasted spices along with turmeric powder. To that add jaggery and tamarind chanadal mix. Powder it and finally add roasted sesame seeds and pulse it once or twice.
- Heat 2 TBSP oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds once it pops, add the dals and peanuts.
- Fry it until the dals turns golden brown. Now add broken chillies and curry leaves. Mix it and after few seconds turn of the heat and leave it for few minutes.
- Now add the prepared powder and mix it well.
- Now the instant Puliyogare Powder is ready. Once it is cooled completely store it in a bottle.
How to use this instant powder:
- Place required amount of the powder in a plate. Put the hot rice on top. Leave it for 5 minutes. Then mix it and enjoy!