Capsicum Rice recipe – please watch video for tips and instructions.
Capsicum aka bell peppers are a delicious vegetable which contains vitamins A and C. It is a low calorie vegetable which can be consumed either in raw or in cooked form. Compared to green bell peppers, the red variety has more nutrients, including the antioxidant lycopene. You can use green, red, orange or yellow color capsicum to prepare this dish.
Now coming to our recipes, Capsicum / bell pepper bath is very easy and quick dish, especially you have the left over rice. Capsicum cooks fast and we always have the vangibath powder ready , making the playa and mixing it is like 10 to 15 minutes work. You have this wonderful tasty rice dish ready for any meal and great for lunch box.
- 2.5 cups cooked rice
- 1 big red bell pepper or (2 medium size bell peppers any color is fine) (cut this into small cubes)
- ¼ cup fresh / frozen peas
- little bit of tamarind (soaked in water)
- 3 tbsp Homemade Vangibath Powder (click vangibath powder for the powder recipe)
- 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp channa dal and 2 tsp urad dal (mix)
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing / asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Curry leaves
- 1 tsp jaggery powder / little bit of jaggery
- First wash and pressure cook the rice with 1½ to 2 cups of water(water quantity depends on the rice) and keep the cooked rice ready.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once oil is hot enough, add mustard seeds and hing. Then add channa dal and urad dal.
- Fry it until it turns a golden brown color.
- Now add curry leaves, turmeric powder, chopped red bell pepper and peas, mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it cook until it becomes a little tender.
- Now add the vangibath powder, salt and jaggery.
- Mix and cover it with the lid. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now reduce the heat and add the rice. Mix well again.
- Cover the lid and let it sit for 2 to 3 more minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Enjoy this Capsicum rice with raitha or just as it is.