Raw Mango Rice | Mavinakayi Chitranna is traditional festival recipe. Rice, as our staple food we do prepare so many varieties of mixed rice. This Mango rice is one of the variety. Green Mango as we know has generous amount of fiber and Vitamin C. This Sesame flavored mango rice is very traditional dish my mother prepares. Here is the recipe to healthy, delicious Mango rice.
This is Mango Chitranna variety 1 !
Ingredients for Raw Mango Rice :
- 1 medium size mango cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh/frozen coconut
- 1 TBSP sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- little bit asafoetida/hing
- around 1 TBSP Jaggery
- around 2 tsp salt
- 5 to 6 byadagi red chillies you can add 1 or 2 guntur red chilli if you need more hot
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 TBSp urad dal
- 1 dried red chilli broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup peanuts or cashews
- few curry leaves
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro /coriander leaves if you wish to decorate
- 1 cup rice wash and cook, which yield around 2 cups of rice
Watch the video for tips and instructions in kannada
- First wash and cook the rice either in pressure cooker or in rice cooker by adding little oil to separate the rice and keep it ready.
- Cut the mango into small pieces so that it will be easier to grind. Discard the seed.
- Grind mango, coconut, sesame seeds, red chillies, jaggery, turmeric powder, hing and salt also. Add very less water to grind. Grind it to a coarse consistency.
Prepare the seasoning:
- Heat 3 TBSP oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds. Once it pops add urad dal and peanuts.
- Fry it until dal turns golden brown. Now add broken red chilli and curry leaves mix it.
- Now add the masala and mix it well and cook it until the raw smell goes off and when you see the oil bubbling. Now add the cooked rice and mix it well.
- Cover it and cook it for 5 to 8 minutes on very low heat. And then turn off the heat. Decorate with coriander leaves and Enjoy!
- If the mango is sour add jaggery, if it is sweet add little tamarind soaked in water or some lemon juice