Please watch the video for detailed instructions to how to make Udupi gulla Gojju | Sutta badanekayi Gojju
Udupi gulla is a variety of green brinjal grown in and around udupi region. You can use any big eggplant or badane kayi / badanekai / which is available but udupi gulla tastes awesome.
Onion is completely optional. This is Vegan, gluten free side dish .
Try this sutta badanekayi mosaru bajji, badane kayi bolu huLi
- 1 udupi gulla / udupi brinjal / any big brinjal / badanekayi
- ¾ tsp salt
- little tamarind soaked in water
- finely chopped 1 small onion
- 4 green chillies(finely chopped)
- ⅛ tsp jeerigemenasina pudi(if available)
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 1/8 tsp hing(skip or use gluten free hing for gluten free option)
- Smear some oil on the badanekayi/brinjal, keep on the stove, keep for few minutes,
- Continue roasting until the whole eggplant is charred and tender,
- Transfer it to a bowl, add salt, jeerigemenasina pudi, chopped onion and squeeze the tamarind juice, add chopped coriander leaves and mix it well.
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat and once hot add mustard seeds, once it pops add urad dal. After it turns golden brown add hing and chopped green chillies, fry it until it turns white.
- Add the seasoning to the gojju and mix it well. Gojju is ready, eat with chapathi, rice..