Mulagi sambar or Radish Sambar:
Sambar is the best food invention by south Indians. It has proteins, we use vegetables and spices. Each family has its own recipes for sambar and changing the the quantity of the ingredients results in different tastes and each sambar is unique in its own flavor and taste.
Here we have moolangi/mullangi/radish sambar recipe using our home made sambar powder.
- 2 medium size radish along with greens or (ಮೂಲಂಗಿ, ಸೊಪ್ಪಿನ ಜೊತೆಗೆ ಉಪಯೋಗಿಸಬಹುದು)
- 2 to 3 cups cut radish(wash, peel and slice it)
- ¾ cup toor dal(ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ)
- 2 TBSP Sambar Powder(ಸಾಂಬಾರ ಪುಡಿ )
- 3 to 4 cups water(ನೀರು)
- Small lemon size tamarind soaked in water(ಹುಣಸೆಹಣ್ಣು)
- 1.5 tsp salt(ಉಪ್ಪು)
- ⅛ th tsp turmeric powder(ಅರಿಶಿಣ)
- Little oil(ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- Little jaggery(ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಬೆಲ್ಲ)
- 2 tsp oil(ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds(ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- Pinch of hing(ಇಂಗು)
Please watch the above video for detailed instructions.
- Wash and cut the moolangi, wash the greens and cut it(if you are using the greens)
- Wash and pressure cook the dal in a cooker pan, add 2 cups of water along with little oil turmeric powder, and the cut radish on medium heat with 2 whistles.
- Once the cooker is cool enough, transfer the cooked dal and radish to a medium size pan. Add sambar powder, salt, jaggery, and also squeeze the tamarind juice. Mix it well. Check for the consistency and add enough water.( may be 3/4 to 1 cup)
- Once you see the froth on top and reaches the consistency of the sambar, turn off the heat and prepare the seasoning.
- radish/moolangi greens are optional