Obbattu Saaru | ಒಬ್ಬಟ್ಟಿನ ಸಾರು
Obbattu Saaru / Rasam is a very popular festival dish. This rasam is generally prepared using the filling (ಹೂರಣ ) which we make for obbattu/Holige. This hUraNa Rasam is a very traditional dish. Popularly known as ಒಬ್ಬಟ್ಟಿನ ಸಾರು .
Since we use the hUrana/filling for this recipe, please refer to “beLe Obbattu /Puran poLi recipe”. Though using huraNa from puran poLi is preferred, the rasam will still taste good without it.
We are making rasam for 2-2.5 cups of water.
Ingredients for holige rasam:
If you are preparing only rasam (not using obbattu filling), here are the extra ingredients:
- ¼ cup channa dal / toor dal (wash and pressure cook this with 1½ cups of water. Strain the water and keep the water aside)(ಕಡ್ಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ /ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ)
- 2 TBSP jaggery powder(ಬೆಲ್ಲ)
- Pinch of cardamom(ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ )
If you are using huraNa (from obbattu), you need:
- 1 cup of water from cooked channa/toor dal (use 2-3 cups of water to cook 1¼ cup of dal when preparing obbattu huraNa. After cooking, only ~1 cup of water will be left.)
- ½ cup hUraNa / filling (ಹೂರಣ)
For both methods of preparation, you need:
- 1 to 1½ cups of water
- Few curry leaves
- Small lemon size tamarind soaked in water(ಹುಣಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು)
- ¼ cup coconut(ಕಾಯಿ)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 to 3 tsp rasam powder (ಸಾರಿನ ಪುಡಿ )
- 1 tsp salt / salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon ghee(ತುಪ್ಪ)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds(ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- ½ teaspoon jeera(ಜೀರಿಗೆ)
- pinch of hing (ಇಂಗು)
- If you have huraNa, simply grind coconut, rasam powder, salt, and tamarind along with the water to a fine paste. If you don’t have huraNa, add cooked dal, jaggery, and a pinch of cardamom to this paste, and grind.
- Add this paste to the cooked water.
- Add the filling/hUraNa (or prepared paste) and curry leaves, and mix well.
- Add the remaining water, keep it on medium heat, and let it boil. Continue adding water accordingly until we reach the desired consistency.
- Stir in between to avoid burning.
- Once you see the froth on top, turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Heat the ghee in a ladle on medium heat.
- Add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let it pop.
- Turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the Rasam.