Long Beans Palya | alasande kai palya |Gluten free and Vegan
Long beans palya | Alasande kai palya recipe with detailed instruction watch the video.
Long beans or yard long beans which are alasande kayi in kannada are young tender pods with very low calories and rich source of fibers, folate and Vitamins like A, C. As we know fiber rich foods help to reduce bad cholesterol. These long beans are good for pregnant women. Eating various greens and vegetables are important for good health.
You will find the light yellow long beans and green color long beans at the farmers market.
When buying these long beans make sure to buy tender, uniformly green( if it is a green variety) firm but flexible ones.
Here is simple recipe of malnad / udupi mangalore style Long beans Palya which is super side dish for saaru anna / Rasam Rice, chapathi or it goes with hot rice as well.
Other way of making simple palya using long beans CLICK HERE.
For more palya recipes CLICK HERE
Ingredients for making long beans palya:
- 1 bunch or 1/4 kg of tender long beans / alasande kayi
- wash and cut the long beans as shown
- key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut to garnish
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp uddina bele/urad dal
- 1/2 tsp chana dal/kadle bele
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 10 curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut
- 6 byadagi red chillies
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add dals
- Once the dals turn golden brown add turmeric powder and curry leaves
- Now add chopped long beans/alasande kayi along with water, Mix it, cover it and cook it on medium/medium low heat
- make sure to mix in between and add water if needed
- Once the beans are cooked add tamarind extract, jaggery and salt. Mix it well.
- Powder chillies, mustard seeds, and then add coconut and grind it to a coarse texture
- Add the masale to the palya, mix it well. stir it until the raw smell of the mustard seeds disappears.
- after 2 minutes – add chopped coriander leaves, ½ tsp coconut oil and a tbsp coconut. mix it well. Turn off the heat and serve with rotis, rice..