Thenkol is an another traditional snack. Thenkuzhal / Thengolalu is prepared during festivals like Krishnashtami, Deepavali,…But in our home this is all season snack. Other than Chakkali, kodbale and this thengol is one of the packed lunch snack along with some mixed rice. Healthy and delicious snack can be prepared very easily at home. This is an another crunchy snack to go with evening Coffee or tea.
- ½ cup urad dal
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1 ½ tsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt
- Pinch of hing
- Oil to fry
- Chakli press
Yields 18 to 20 thengol:
- Wash and pressure cook the urad dal in 1 cup+1 tbsp water on medium heat (3 to 4 whistles are needed)
- Once the cooked dal cool enough to handle, transfer it to a bowl, add rice flour, jeera,sesame seeds,salt, hing .
- Heat 1½ tbsp oil and pour it on the mix.Mix it thoroughly. (Add water only if needed)
- Knead it to a soft dough.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium high heat to fry the thenkol.
- Grease the chakli press,(use a 3 hole stencil for thenkol)
- Using the chakli press, make few thengol and keep it ready.( watch the video for how to shape)
- Once the oil is hot enough (check by putting a little dough into the oil, it has to come up immediately), add the prepared thengol,
- Fry them until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Flip these nce in between.
- Once they turn golden brown on both sides, take them out and transfer them onto a paper towel to drain extra oil.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough.
- Once the Thengolalu have cooled completely, store it in an airtight container.