Bendekayi huli or bendekayi sambar | ladies finger sambar video recipe.
Sambar/ HuLi is the most common dish in south Indian Kitchen. We use different combinations of vegetables, different spice mix to make it more interesting.
Bendekai/Okra/ lady”s finger is high fiber, low calorie vegetable. Okra are the good source of folates, vitamin C and contains Vitamin K. Bendekayi is rich in iron, calcium, and magnesium as well. For kids and adults okra is one the healthiest vegetables to be served at least once a week.
Here is the delicious wholesome Okra sambar/Bendekayi huLi recipe using.
- 2 to 3 cup cut bandekayi/Okra
- ½ to ¾ cup toor dal
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp Sambar Powder
- Key Lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 3 to 4 cups water(ನೀರು)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ⅛ th tsp turmeric powder(ಅರಿಶಿಣ)
- Little oil(ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- Little jaggery(ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಬೆಲ್ಲ)
- 1 to 2 tbsp grated coconut(optional)
- 1 tbsp oil(ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds(ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- Pinch of hing(ಇಂಗು)
- Wash and dry the okra on a towel. Cut into ½ to ¾ inch pieces.
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with 1.5 to 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, and little oil on medium heat.. Turn off the heat after 1 whistle.
Frying the Okra/bendekai:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a big pan. Once hot add hing, mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds pops add the cut bendekai. Stir it . Fry it until the vegetable is cooked. (takes around 5 to 6 minutes to cook).
- Now to the cooked dal, squeeze tamarind juice, remaining salt, jaggery and sambar powder. Add more water( i added another 1 ½ cup water. Let it boil on medium heat.
- Once it starts to boil add the cooked okra/bendekai.
- Let it boil on medium low heat for another 10 to 15 minutes. (Add coconut if you like)
- Add more water if needed to get the right consistency.
- After 10 to 15 minutes turn off the heat and huLi is ready.
- Serve hot with hot rice, raagi mudde or with rotti too…