This is the restaurant type chutney for Idli. For any breakfast like dosa, idli, chapati … side dish is very important. Each breakfast dish has its own combination. This recipe is chutney for idli. Many years ago my friend prepared this chutney, it tastes exactly like hotel/restaurant chutney. Simple yet delicious 🙂
For idli recipe click here:
- ¼ to ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup hurigadale/fried gram dal/putani
- Small lemon size tamarind soaked in water
- 4 to 8 green chillies
- 10 to 15 Curry leaves(few to grind and few for seasoning)
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 tsp jaggery
- ¾ to 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 to 3 tsp oil
- Little asafoetida
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
Please watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada
- Grind coconut, dal, jaggery, ginger,chillies,4 to 5 curry leaves, tamarind along with soaked water(make sure there are no seeds) and water to a fine paste(I used around 1¼ cups of water)
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
Now prepare the seasoning:
- Heat oil in ladle on medium heat, once the oil is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds, once it pops
- Add urad dal and fry it until dal turns golden brown, add curry leaves and turn of the heat.
- Pour this seasoning on the chutney and mix it .
Enjoy this chutney with soft idlis 🙂
You can reduce coconut and add more hurigadale.