Menthe chutney or methi seeds chutney is healthy, tasty and easy to make as a side dish for rotti, chapati and rice as well. It is vegan, gluten free and with no onion and garlic.
Menthya | methi |/ methi seeds/fenugreek seeds are the main ingredient in this recipe.
Methi seeds / menthya / fenugreek seeds have lots of medicinal value. They are loaded with antioxidants. These seeds promote healthy hair, and help to relieve discomfort due to arthritis. They also help to avoid constipation and aids in liver function and digestion. It helps in reduction of cholesterol and removal of toxins from the body.
Tamarind – reduces inflammation, reduces pitta imbalance, increases immunity, lowers cholesterol
Jaggery – Good jaggery purifies the blood, good for digestion, reduces pitta imbalance, source of iron.
bengal gram | kadale bele | chana dal – High protein, rich in folates, fiber rich, for healthy bones, and has anti inflammatory properties.
With all good ingredients why not prepare this delicious chutney and enjoy it with hot rice or rotis or rotti ?
Ingredients for menthe chutney:
- 3 tbsp menthya | fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 cup kadle bele / chana dal
- 2 to 4 tbsp cooking oil (peanut / groundnut oil tastes good)
- 6 to 8 byadagi red chilies
- 3 to 5 tbsp jaggery
- lemon size tamarind soaked in 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- generous pinch of hing
- 1/2 tsp uddina bele / urad dal
- few curry leaves
- Wash and soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and keep it ready
- heat the pan on medium low heat, dry roast the methi seeds, transfer it to a plate
- Keep the pan back on stove, heat 2 tbsp oil on low heat, fry the kadle bele/chanadal until it turns golden brown
- Turn off the heat and add red chilies and fry.
- Powder the roasted methi seeds,
- Then add fried dal, red chilies and tamarind pulp. along with jaggery and salt. Grind it. add water if needed. Transfer the chutney to a bowl
- Heat around tbsp of oil in the pan, once hot add hing, urad dal and mustard seeds, Fry it until the dal turns golden brown
- Add curry leaves, turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the chutney. Mix it
- Chutney is ready. Serve this with rice, rotti and chapati as well. It can be stored at room temperature for a week.
- You can use 2 tbsp methi seeds instead of 3 if you don;t like too much bitterness in chutney or you can add more jaggery .