idli uppittu | idli upma
Bored of eating idli sambar or idli chutney ? try this easy and tasty idli uppittu | idli upma recipe. As we know idli is a very popular and almost weekly breakfast in many south indian families. We can even prepare this idli upma with leftover idlis as well.
We already know how to make soft idlis, or if you are wondering how to make idlis here is the recipe IDLI. I have made this uppittu as simple as possible with mild mustard flavor by adding mustard seeds powder, but you can add onion, green beans, avarekayi, green peas, carrot or any vegetables you like and prepare the same. This is a gluten free and vegan breakfast recipe.
You should try SOFT IDLIS and variety idli recipes such as pumpkin idli, cucumber idli and more IDLI RECIPES HERE
Ingredients for idli uppittu:
- 12 idlis (cut or crumble idlis and keep it ready)
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil
- pinch of hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp urad dal / split black gram
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- ~5 green chilies
- few curry leaves
- chopped coriander leaves
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- juice of lime / lemon (according to your taste)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium low heat.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal, and ingu/hing
- Fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Add green chilies, keep stirring and add curry leaves, turmeric powder,
- Fry it for a few seconds, then add mustard powder, fry it until the raw smell disappears.
- Add crumbled idli pieces, salt. Mix it well.
- Let it cook for a minute or 2. Then turn off the heat. squeeze lemon juice. Mix it
- Now idli upma is ready to serve. Hope you enjoy it!