Zucchini chutney recipe I Tastes good with with rice, rotti, idli, chapathi ..
Zucchini is one of the summer squashes. It looks like cucumber but tastes more like ridge gourd/heerekayi. We can use the zucchini in place of ridge gourd. We can make zucchini rice, zucchini raita. We can add this to rotti as well. It is a very low calorie vegetable, good source of dietary fiber. Also zucchini is a very good source of potassium.
Here is the simple yet delicious vegan, gluten free Zucchini chutney .
Try this Zucchini Raita recipe
More chutney recipe HERE
Ingredients for making Zucchini Chutney:
- 2 medium size zucchini
- 1.5 cooking oil for frying zucchini
- 3 tbsp kadale bele/chana dal/split bengal gram
- You can use togari bele/toor dal or uddina bele/urad dal
- 1/4 cup coconut(fresh)
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 small onions åç
- little coriander leaves
- 6 to 7 byadgi red chilies
- 2 green chilies
- OR you can use only red chilies or green chilies
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp jaggery (optional)
- small gooseberry sized tamarind soaked in water
- 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1.5 tsp cooking oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2 to 3 pieces of dried red chili
- few curry leaves
- Wash and cut the zucchini as shown in the video
- Cut onions and chilies into halves
- Heat 1.5 tsp oil in a pan on low heat.
- Fry the dal until it turns golden brown. Transfer it to a separate plate
- To the same pan add chilies, onion, curry leaves, and coriander seeds
- Stir it for a few seconds, then add zucchini, and salt.
- Mix it, cover it and let it cook for a minute
- No need to add water. no need to completely cook the zucchini, 1 minute is enough
- Add coriander leaves, mix and turn off the heat. Let it cool.
- Grind the zucchini, fried dal, coconut, jaggery, and soaked tamarind to a coarse paste.
- Add water only if needed.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in ladle on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add hing, add mustard seeds
- After it pops add dried red chilies pieces, curry leaves. Turn off the heat
- Add the seasoning to the chutney , mix.
- Serve with rotti, rava idli, dosa, rotis..