Kadalekalu usli recipe | Chana usli | kabul kadle usli | Garbanzo beans usli | Chickpeas usli
During Narathri festival we prepare usli everyday to offer to god. Usli/sundal is the healthiest, tastiest, protein rich snack or breakfast or side dish. Usli is the best way to incorporate the beans in our/kids diet .
It is always good to incorporate beans in our daily diet., especially if you have young ones at home. Beans are high in minerals and fiber along with protein and without the saturated fat found in some animal proteins. It is believed that soaking the beans before cooking helps to remove some of those indigestible sugars that cause flatulence and helps to cook then fast. Soaking long hours helps in digestion of the cooked beans. Beans are a rich source of soluble fiber which can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Usli/sundals/gugguri are one of the many ways we can use the beans.
Try this chickpeas/chana usli for this festival. This is Vegan, and gluten free dish.
Checkout these other usli recipes such as peas usli, brown kadalekalu / kala chana usli, green gram usli, black-eyed beans usli and More usli recipes .
Ingredients for making chana usli recipe:
- 1 cup dried Chickpeas garbanzo beans
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp oil
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- 2 pinches of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 to 4 green chilies (slit or chopped)
- 2 to 3 pinches of grated fresh ginger(optional)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- around 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- juice of half lemon
- 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Wash the beans thoroughly and soak for 6 to 7 hours with 4 cups of water
- Pressure cook the soaked chana with 1¼ cup water, turmeric powder, salt and little oil, jeera or 1 bay leaf on medium high heat
- Turn off the heat after 4 to 5 whistles .( chickpeas has to cook really well)
Cooking the chickpeas in Instant pot:
- same ingredients as the pressure cooker –
- Set to 12 minutes on pressure cook mode – high heat (Please watch the video )
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add green chilies
- Fry it for a few seconds and add curry leaves and grated ginger.
- Fry it for few seconds
- Add cooked chickpeas without water.
- Add remaining salt, add 2 tbsp of water, and mix mix it , cover it and let it cook for a minute or 2
- After a minute or so – extra water is evaporated, usli is ready
- Add chopped coriander leaves
- Grated coconut, mix it well.
- turn off the heat, add lemon/lime juice.
- Mix it well and Serve