Avi Kadubu is steamed and stuffed rice flour treats / snacks mostly prepared during festivals like nagara panchami, vinayaka chaturthi/ Ganesha festival. Sihi Kadubu has sweet fillings like jaggery – coconut or Til / sesame seeds and jaggery filling. Kara kadubu has spicy fillings like Urad dal and spices or chana dal and spices .
Here we have the sweet kadubu / Sihi kadubu with Coconut and Jaggery filling.
- 1 cup grated coconut
- ¼ cup to ½ cup jaggery
- 3 to 4 cardamoms (crushed)
- 2 to 4 TBSP water (to clean jaggery)
You can make 8 to 10 kadubu.
- Prepare the dough and keep it ready
- Mix jaggery and coconut along with a tbsp of water in a pan. ( melt the jaggery and clean it if you think it has any impurities)
- Turn on the heat to medium low and Stir often until the water evaporates.
- Turn off the heat and add cardamom powder, mix it and allow it to cool.
To make the sihi kadubu:
- Take one dough ball, roll it to a flat round shape. either you can use the Tortilla press/ roti press to flatten the dough or you can use rolling pin.
- Take 2 plastic sheet or you can use banana leaves, grease it. Keep one on the press, put the dough in the middle, keep another sheet on top and press it.
- Take the flattened dough, put a tbsp or little more filling in the center and close it and press the edges,
- Repeat this and make few more.
- Keep it in the greased pressure cooker container and steam cook this on medium high heat without putting the whistle on, for 10 to 12 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Open the steamer after 2 to 3 minutes and sihi kadubu is ready to eat!
You can use 1 to 2 TBSP maida or all purpose flour while making the dough.I want it to be gluten free so I am not using the maida here.
I am using half the dough for sweet and half the dough for kara.( 1/2 cup rice flour for each)