Avi Kadubu is steamed and stuffed rice flour treats / snacks mostly prepared during festivals like nagara panchami, vinayaka chaturthi/ Ganesha festival. Sihi Kadubu has sweet fillings like jaggery – coconut or Til / sesame seeds and jaggery filling. Kara kadubu has spicy fillings like Urad dal and spices or chana dal and spices .
Here is the recipe to make the basic item dough / hittu for the kadubu. For this we use special rice flour, that is, you have to wash the rice then spread it on the clean cloth and let it dry. Then grind it to a fine powder. Since it takes time to prepare, i am using the regular store bought rice flour.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1½ cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp oil/ghee/ ( for making dough)
- 1 tsp oil/ghee ( for kneading the dough)
- Boil the water in a thick bottom pan on medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat, add oil and salt.
- Now add rice flour, mix it well so that there are no lumps.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the plate and let it cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat and allow it to become warm.
- Transfer the warm dough(half of it) onto a flat surface or big plate. Knead the dough by dipping your fingers in ghee or oil, until the dough becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal parts and keep it back in the pan and cover it until we use.
- Repeat the same procedure for remaining half too.
- Dough is ready, watch SIHI KADUBU to make the Sweet one and KARA KADUBU to make the kara/spicy kadubu.
You can add 2 tbsp of maida/all-purpose flour while making the dough to avoid breaking. I want it to be gluten free so I am not using the maida here.
I am using half the dough for sweet and half the dough for kara.( 1/2 cup rice flour for each)