Nuchchinunde is Protein rich, weight-loss breakfast or lunch or dinner dish.
Karnataka’s special, Nuchchina unde is an age old, healthy breakfast. My amma said that back in her days, her parents (my grandparents) used to grow lentils like toor, moong and channa. When they husked it, they used to get this lentil nuchchu, which are broken pieces (nuchchu means broken). Using this nuchchu, Ajji used to make the nuchinunde by adding coconut, chillies and some ginger. When she steamed it the aroma, itself was so appetizing they used to eat it with nothing but ghee :). Nuchinunde is steamed and loaded with protein. I am using toor dal here, but you can add chana and moong dal as well. Additionally and optionally you can add onions, methi leaves, or baby dill to make it even more tasty and healthy.
- 1 cup toor dal wash and soaked in 3 cups of water for an hour(ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ)
- 1/4 cup grated coconut(ಕಾಯಿತುರಿ)
- 2 TBSP coconut pieces(ಸಣ್ನ ಕಾಯಿ ಚೂರುಗಳು)
- 4 to 6 green chillies(ಹಸಿರುಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ)
- 1¼ to 1½ tsp salt(ಉಪ್ಪು)
- 1 inch ginger chopped/shredded or you can grind along with dal(ಶುಂಟಿ ಚೂರು)
- 10 to 15 curry leaves chopped(ಕರಿಬೇವು)
- 2 to 3 TBSP chopped cilantro /coriander leaves(ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
Additionally and optionally:
- 1/4 cup chopped onion(ಈರುಳ್ಳಿ)
- 1/4 cup chopped baby dill/methi leaves(ಸಬ್ಬಸಿಗೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
Please watch the video for tips and detailed instructions
- First wash and soak the toor dal in 3 cups of water for an hour.
- Drain the water and coarse grind the dal along with chillies, and ginger. Don’t add any water to grind.
- Transfer it to a big bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix it well.
- Grease the Idly plates or any plate which you can steam. Take 2 to 3 TBSP above mix, make it like a oval shape ball and arrange it on the plate. We can make around 16 unde.
- Keep this prepared idli plates in a cooker, ( with out the whistle) and steam cook it for 12 to 13 minutes on medium high heat and then turn off.
- Remove the plates from the steamer carefully and enjoy the nuchchinunde with majjige huLi or chutney or with ghee.