Rave Unde is one of the oldest, and most popular sweets all over India. Though it is very easy to make, it does needs extra care while preparing this dish. My mom makes rave Unde in a different way, but I love the way my mother – in- law prepares. I am sharing this delicious Rave Unde recipe. If you love rave unde, try this recipe 🙂
- 1 cup chiroti rave/fine sooji(ಚಿರೋಟಿ ರವೆ)
- 1 cup sugar(ಸಕ್ಕರೆ)
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut(ಕಾಯಿ ತುರಿ ಬಿಳಿ ತುರಿಯನ್ನು ಬಳಸಿ)
- ½ cup water(ನೀರು)
- ½ cup ghee(ತುಪ್ಪ)
- 6 almonds(ಬಾದಾಮಿ ಚೂರುಗಳು)(cut into small pieces)
- 6 cashews(ಗೋಡಂಬಿ ಚೂರುಗಳು) (cut into small pieces)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder(ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ ಪುಡಿ)
- 15 to 20 raisins(ದ್ರಾಕ್ಷಿ)
Yields around 20 Rave Unde.
For tips and detailed instruction please watch the Video
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat, add almonds, cashews, then the raisins fry it until raisins puffs up and nuts turn golden brown.
- To the above mix add coconut, mix it well, add rava/rave and fry this until the raw smell disappears(takes around 10 to 12 minutes on low heat)
- Once you get the nice aroma of roasted/fried rave, transfer it on to a plate.
- Keep the back on stove, add water and sugar. Let it boil on medium heat.(takes around 5 to 6 minutes)
- Once you get into almost one string consistency, turn off the heat.
- Add the ghee roasted rave, coconut mix along with cardamom powder and allow it to cool little bit.
- When the mix is kind of warm, mix it one more time and take the desired amounts and make the laddu/balls.
- If you don’t have chiroti rave/fine sooji, you can use local rave/upma rava
- It is very important to roast the rave on low flame, stir it continuously.
- Nuts and raisins – add it to your taste.
- You can reduce the amount of ghee by a teaspoon or 2, but to get good rave unde you need to add more ghee.