mango thokku | mavinakayi thokku
Mango Thokku | Mavinakayi Thokku
During Mango season, Mango/Mavina kayi thokku is one of the dish we prepare.
Benefits of Mango:
According to an article published in Deccan Herald by Abhay Kumar – Eating one or two tender mangoes, in which the seed is not fully formed, along with salt and honey is a very effective medicine for diarrhea, dysentery, piles, morning sickness, chronic dyspepsia, indigestion, constipation.
Also It increases the elasticity of blood vessels, helps in formation of new cells, aids in absorption of iron. Eating raw mango with salt quenches thirst and prevents loss of sodium chloride and iron during summer due to excessive sweating. It tones up the body and helps one to tolerate the excessive heat. Peeled fruit is applied on the eye to cure burning hot sensation due to sun glare.
Eating in excess also causes throat irritation, indigestion …. Therefore eat only one Mango a day.
Now coming to our Mouthwatering thokku, very easy to make and can be stored for 2 to 3 months in the refrigerator and enjoy this with roti, chapathi, hot rice …
Ingredients for mango thokku:
- 1 big green mango
- 2 TBSP Red chilli powder
- 1 TBSP Menthya/fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera/cumin powder
- 2 TBSP Salt
- 1 TSP turmeric powder
- 1 ½ TBSP oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp hing
- Wash and dry the mango thoroughly, peel the skin and grate the mango, keep it ready.
- Dry roast the menthya in a pan on medium heat.
- Powder it using a mortar pestle while the seeds are still warm.
- Grind the grated Mango in a dry mixer jar, add jeera powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and menthya powder. Grind it to a fine paste..
- Transfer this thokku to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a ladle.
- Once it is hot, add mustard seeds, once the seeds pops turn off the heat and add hing.Allow it to cool.
- Then add it to the thokku and mix it well. Mango Thokku is now ready!