Ragi Halbai | Finger Millet haalbai | Millet recipes
Happy New year to our dear swayam paaka viewers. Welcome and celebrate 2020 with this easy to make ragi halbai or finger millet haalbai. Halbai is the traditional Karnataka sweet prepared during festival days. This is GLuten free, vegan sweet recipe.
Checkout these other halbai recipes such as rice-coconut halbai, Chiroti rava hal bai, foxtail millet halbai and for more sweet recipes CLICK HERE.
Ingredients for making ragi halbai:
- 1/2 cup raagi / finger millet
- ½ cup fresh coconut 3 to 4 cardamoms
- 2 to 2¼ cups of water
- ¾ cup jaggery
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- Wash 2 to 3 times and soak the raagi in 3/4 cup of water for 4 to 6 hours or overnight
- grind soaked ragi, coconut and cardamom with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water
- (if you are using frozen coconut use warm water to grind)
- extract the milk (strain the milk) to the thick bottom pan.
- Repeat the same procedure 2 to 3 times- add water grind and extract the milk
- Grease the plate with oil / ghee keep it ready
- Strain the melted jaggery to the ragi milk, mix it and keep this on medium low flame,
- keep stirring the mix.
- keep stirring ( you can increase the flame to medium high or you can use medium low flame- adjust according to your comfort )
- after 2 minutes- as the mixture thickens add a tsp of coconut oil or ghee, mix it and keep stirring until the water evaporates
- After 5 to 6 minutes on medium flame – add another 2 tsp oil or ghee mix it, ans stir .
- after 25 to 28 minutes- water is evaporated and the halbai is done. (Please watch the video )
- Turn off the heat and transfer the halbai to the greased plate and spread it using a spoon. Allow it to cool completely .
- Grease the knife and cut the halbai into desired shape and serve
- With the given measurement we can make 18 to 20 pieces