Halbai/ Bellada Manni is one of the many traditional, unique to Karnataka sweet dish. With rich flavor of coconut and right amount of jaggery and rice, I would say this is the dish from the Heaven. My mother always makes this sweet just to quench the sweet cravings. You should try this to experience what I am trying to say here 🙂
- ¼ cup rice
- ¾ cup jaggery powder/jaggery
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 to 3 cardamom
- 1 TBSP ghee
- 2 cup water
- Greased plate
Watch the video for detailed instructions.
- Wash and soak the rice for atleast 3 to 4 hours.
- Then drain the water and grind it along with coconut and cardamom to a fine paste..
- Add enough water to grind.(use around 2 cups of water)
- Now take this coconut rice mix in a thick bottom pan.
- Add the jaggery, mix it and keep this on medium heat.
- Keep stirring until it gets thick Add ghee at this point.
- When the mix starts to leave the pan like one ball, transfer it to onto the greased plate and spread it.
- When it is still warm, cut it to the desired shape and size using the greased knife.
- Relish it with ghee or just as it is!
If the jaggery needs to be cleaned, melt jaggery with some water and strain it.