Horse Gram Benefits
Horse gram, is a type of legume that is widely used in Indian cuisine. Here are some potential health benefits of consuming horse gram:
- Rich in protein: Horse gram is a good source of plant-based protein, which is important for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Lowers cholesterol: Horse gram has been found to lower cholesterol levels in the blood, potentially reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Controls diabetes: Horse gram has a low glycemic index, which means it does not cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels. This makes it a good choice for people with diabetes or those at risk of developing the condition.
- Promotes weight loss: Horse gram is low in calories and high in fiber, which can help promote feelings of fullness and reduce overall calorie intake.
- Improves digestion: Horse gram is high in dietary fiber, which can help regulate bowel movements and prevent constipation.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Horse gram has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the body and prevent chronic diseases.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Horse gram is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, calcium, phosphorus, and molybdenum.
Here is the nutrition information for 100 grams of cooked horse gram:
- Calories: 321
- Protein: 22.9 g
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.4 g
- Fiber: 22.5 g
- Calcium: 287 mg
- Iron: 6.77 mg
- Magnesium: 311 mg
- Phosphorus: 311 mg
- Potassium: 715 mg
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Zinc: 2.5 mg
- Vitamin C: 5.3 mg
It’s important to note that the nutritional value of horse gram can vary depending on various factors such as the way it is prepared and cooked. Additionally, horse gram is commonly consumed in its uncooked or sprouted form, and the nutritional content may vary in this form as well.
Here are some of the common names for horse gram in Indian languages:
- Hindi: Kulthi or Kulth
- Tamil: Kollu
- Telugu: Ulavalu
- Kannada: Huruli
- Malayalam: Muthira
- Bengali: Kulthi or Kultha
- Marathi: Kulith or Hulthi
- Gujarati: Kulthi
- Punjabi: Kulthi
- Odia: Kolatha
Overall, horse gram is a nutritious and healthy food that can provide a range of health benefits when consumed as part of a balanced diet.