Goddu saaru or instant bele saru / dal rasam is the easiest rasam we can prepare. It is basically readymade rasam powder. You can store the goddu saaru powder and use it when needed. Though adding tomato and coconut milk is optional for this rasam / saaru it does enhance the taste of the saaru. Best for the people recovering from fever or any sickness.
Ingredients for making goddu saaru:
- 2 tbsp togari bELe / Toor dal / split pigeon peas
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- around 10 curry leaves
- little hing
- 10 black pepper
- 3/4 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp menthya / methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 2 pinches of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 byadagi red chillies
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp hing
- small key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- few curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves
- 1 to 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- around 5 cups of water
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- Heat the oil in a pan on low heat, once hot add toor dal, fry it for sew seconds
- after 30 seconds add red chillies, curry leaves fry it for a minute, then add pepper and methi seeds, fry it for few seconds.
- After 30 seconds add hing, cumin seeds/jeera and mustard seeds, fry it
- Once the toor dal turns golden brown add coriander seeds, and turmeric powder, fry it for few seconds and turn off the heat. ((it took 3 to 4 minutes for me )
TIP: always add coriander seeds at the end.
- Grind this masale to fine powder. You can store this powder for later use as well.
- Take tamarind extract in a pan, add salt, jaggery, and curry leaves along with 2 cups of water. Keep this on medium flame
- Once it starts to boil add prepared masala powder, grind coconut with 1/4 cup of water and add this coconut milk to the boiling rasam. Repeat this a few more times
- Add enough water to get this rasam consistency, together I have added around 5.5 cups of water let it boil on medium heat for 2 minutes and then reduce the heat and let it boil for few more minutes . finally add coriander leaves . Turn off the heat
- Heat the ghee in a ladle,once hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera, hing and red chillies, Turn off the heat
- Put this prepared seasoning to the rasam, mix it well. Rasam is ready to serve.
- ENjoy this rasam with rice or drink as soup.
- You can add tomatoes as well.