Jackfruits seeds Vada or halasina bijada enne rotti is one of the specialities of our malnad region of Karnataka. This rotti/vada is deep fried breakfast or snack dish . you can eat the vada as it is or enjoy this with the coconut chutney as well. This is gluten free, vegan snack . Best for kids and everyone .
This jackfruit seeds vada can be stored for 2 days.
You can try this enne rotti recipe as well.
Ingredients for making jackfruit seeds vada:
- 1 cup jackfruit seeds(crush the seeds and remove the skin)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 finely chopped green chillies
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- finely chopped curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp omkaLu / ajwain seeds
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1¼ cup water ( to cook and to grind the seeds)
- oil to fry the vada/enne rotti
- pressure cook the seeds along with 1 cup of water on medium low heat. Turn off the heat after 3 whistles
- After the cooker is cooled completely, grind the cooked seeds without adding water first
- then add the water and grind it to a fine paste
- Transfer the ground paste to a bowl.
- add onion, ginger, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander and curry leaves, omkalu, salt, red chilli powder, pepper powder and mix it well
- Add rice flour little by little and make it a soft dough( consistency should be like rotti dough)
- Heat the oil on medium heat
- Grease the banana leaf ( or baking /parchment paper) , take a golf ball size dough and press it on the leaf as shown.. prepare few more and keep it ready.
- once the oil is hot enough – check by adding little dough into the hot oil, it has to come up immediately), add the prepared vada
- after 3 to 4 minutes, flip it to the other side and let it turn golden brown evenly on both sides.
- Once it turns golden brown on both sides remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a colander or paper towel
- Before making the next set, remember to grease the leaf again.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough
- you can make around 25 vada/rotti with the given measurement.
- eat as it is or you can eat with coconut chutney