Enne Rotti | Karida Rotti | Karnataka Recipes
Enne Rotti is special Malnad and coastal Karnataka dish, deep fried snack or breakfast with greens and spice.It is gluten free snack.
Making or even deciding about breakfast is very hard chore for mothers. Everyday we have to come up with something with the available ingredients in the pantry. This is gluten free, a unique Karnataka recipe.
For Chutney recipes click here
Other BREAKFAST RECIPES CLICK Here
Ingredients for Enne Rotti :
- 3 cups rice flour (ಅಕ್ಕಿ ಹಿಟ್ಟು)
- 2 medium size onion (ಈರುಳ್ಳಿ)
- 5 to 6 chopped green chillies (ಹಸಿರುಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ)
- handful of finely chopped methi leaves (ಮೆಂತ್ಯ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
- handful of finely chopped sabbasige soppu (ಸಬ್ಬಸಿಗೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
- handful of finely chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves (ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಹಾಗು ಕರಿಬೇವಿನ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
- ½ TBSP cumin seeds/jeerige (ಜೀರಿಗೆ)
- 1 TBSP salt(salt to taste) (ಉಪ್ಪು)
- ½ tsp jeerige menasina pudi(optional)(ಜೀರಿಗೆ ಮೆಣಸಿನ ಪುಡಿ)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder ( ಖಾರದ ಪುಡಿ)
- 2 TBSP ghee (ತುಪ್ಪ )
- oil to fry the rotti (ಕರಿಯಲು ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- Water as needed (ನೀರು)
Yields around 40 rotti.
Please watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada!
- Take the rice flour in a big mixing bowl, to this add cumin seeds,salt,chilli powder along with ghee. Mix it well.
- Then add chopped greens, chopped onion, chopped green chillies and mix it well with out adding water first. Sprinkle water little by little until you get medium soft dough.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Grease the plastic sheet or if banana leaf is available grease it.
- Take 2 TBSP of dough, make it a ball.
- Keep the dough on the greased sheet, press it with palm to make a circle, thickness should be like poori. Make few more and keep it ready.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add these prepared rotti and fry both sides until it turns golden brown.
- Remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough.
- The Enne rotti can be eaten with coconut chutney, or butter or just as it is.
- Rotti will be crunchy when you consume it hot.
- Use any greens which are available at home