Khali Dosa | Khaali Dose recipe | Karnataka recipes
Khali Dosa / Khaali Dosa is one of the dosa varieties you will find in restaurant menu. Dose/Dosai/Dosa is a very popular breakfast in southern part of India. We have so many different varieties of dose, though all looks almost the same but taste and flavor is unique to the variety. When you go to any south Indian restaurants the menu says MASALA DOSA, SAADA (PLAIN)DOSA, SET DOSA.. so on.. Here we have Khali dosa recipe from a restaurant chef. This khali dosa is soft, and spongy and Gluten free.
Here is the step by step instructions with pictures to “How to Make Khali Dosa” Or you can watch the video !
Variety Dosa recipes CLICK HERE
Ingredients To make Khali Dosa:
- 1 cup rice any rice is fine
- 1/2 cup thick avalakki/poha
- 2 TBSP urad dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds/menthya
- around 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 to 3 cups water
- Wash rice, avalakki/aval/poha, methi seeds and urad dal thoroughly and add water (around 2 to 2.5 cups of water). Soak this for 5 to 6 hours.
- Grind it to a fine paste. Grinder is always the best option, but you can grind it in any blender/mixer. Add water accordingly. Grind it to a fine paste
- Transfer it to a big bowl/container. Add salt Mix it really well.
- Cover it and keep the batter in a warm place to ferment.( overnight or 8 to 10 hours)
- The well fermented batter looks like this, you can see lots of bubbles. This is very important to get good khali dose.
- Grease and heat the skillet on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot enough, pour half tsp of oil in the middle and spread it
- Mix the batter once again and take a ladle of batter and pour it in the center, do not spread it. ( batter should not be too thick or too thin)
- Keep the heat between medium to medium low, cover it and cook it for a minute or so
- This dose has to puff up with lots of holes . No need to flip and cook. Remove the dosa on to a plate.
- Before making the next dosa, put the oil/ghee/butter on the skillet and repeat the same procedure to make more. Enjoy the Khali Dosa with Vegetable Sagu or ghee or butter.
- If you are using thin poha, wash and add it just before you grind the mix.
- If you are using medium poha wash and soak 10 minutes before you grind.