Hunasekayi Thokku | Green Tamarind Tokku
Hunasekayi thokku is finger-licking pickle prepared using tender tamarind .. Ajji used to make this wonderful mouthwatering call it as pickle or thokku always a lifesaver when we develop aversion to food. Thokku along with hot rice and a spoonful of ghee..mmm can’t describe. You should try this to experience. During pregnancy it is the one dish to which a pregnant lady say NO to. This is very famous in Karnataka and andhra pradesh region. The health benefits are good source of Vitamin C and Vitamin E along with Vitamin B , potassium, iron and calcium. Ajji used to make this wonderful mouthwatering call it as pickle or thokku always a lifesaver when we develop aversion to food. Thokku along with hot rice and a spoonful of ghee..mmm can’t describe.You should try this to experience. During pregnancy it is the one dish to which a pregnant lady say NO to.
Benefits of tamarind are:
reduces pitta imbalance
Try these other thokku such as Tamarind thokku / HuNase thokku , Nellikai thokku
Here is simple to make recipe of hunasekayi thokku
- 1/2 kg hunasikai – green tamarind ( 2 big handful)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 tbsp roasted methi seeds/fenugreek seeds powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 50 or 1 cup fresh green chillies
Watch the video for tips:
- Dry roast the methi seeds and powder it and keep it ready.
- Wash and dry the hunasekayi, break it and crush it using mortar and pestle along with seeds and skin.
- Transfer it to a dry bowl. To this add salt, roasted menthya powder, and turmeric powder, mix it.
- Grind this mix in dry jar along with chillies to a fine paste. Do not add any water.
- Transfer it to a bowl and mix it well. Store it in a glass jar.
- Use whenever you want to eat.
How to eat this thokku:
- Take desired amount of thokku.
- Heat oil in a ladle, once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, once it pops add hing. Turn of the heat and add this to the thokku. Mix it.
- Eat this with hot rice and ghee, goes well with rotti too.
- You can store this 2 to 3 years.
- To avoid the discoloring you can store in the refrigerator.