Pumpkin Idli aka Pumpkin Kadubu is easy to do dairy free,no onion, no garlic, gluten free healthy breakfast from South Indian Kitchen.
Sweet Pumpkin is in season now 🙂 I have this super easy, gluten free and Vegan Spicy Pumpkin Idli recipe! I am using Japanese pumpkin or Kabocha , which is almost the same variety we get in India. It has strong flavor of pumpkin, fluffy texture and moist. I love this variety pumpkin compared to any of the other winter or summer squashes.
To name a few amazing benefits of super vegetable winter squash or Sihi kumbalakayi or cheenikai – it is low calorie, high fiber, loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Also a good source of B Complex, copper, potassium and copper as well.
Easy spicy kadubu or Pumpkin Idli can be prepared in 30 to 40 minutes apart from soaking time.
Ingredients for making pumpkin idli:
- 2 cups grated sweet pumpkin (wash and peel the skin , then grate it)
- 1 cup rice rave or Idli Rave /akki thari
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp kadle bele/Chana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tbsp Hesaru bele/moong dal/green gram Wash and soak it in water for an hour
- 3 to 6 green chillies – finely chopped
- 1 to 1.5 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1¼ to 1.5 tsp salt
- 3 to 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup grated coconut or coconut pieces
You can make 16 medium size Idli
- if the rave/ thari is store bought, wash and then soak it with ½ cup water for 1 to 2 hours or if it is homemade no need to wash, just soak it with around ¾ cup water
- After 2 hours… To this soaked rice rave add all ingredients – grated pumpkin,drain the water and add the dals, salt, coriander leaves, crushed pepper, green chillies, jeera and coconut and mix it well.
- after you mix it, make sure the hittu/batter is not too dry, when you squeeze the mix, you should be able to see that water
- Keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes….. mix it again, take a handful of the mix, put it on the greased idli plates.
- The idlis are ready to be steamed.you can make 16 idli with the given measurement
- Steam cook the idlis on medium high heat for 15 to 20 minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Leave for 2 to 3 minutes and then remove the idlis from the plate using a spoon.
- Eat hot idlis with ghee, or chutney.