Rice flour Upma or hula uppittu -a easy breakfast recipe with detailed video instructions.
Need quick and easy breakfast ? try this Gluten free, Vegan , delicious breakfast huli uppittu or rice flour upma. This rice upma is sweet, spicy and sour breakfast recipe.
The other main ingredients for Rice flour upma are tamarind , jaggery and rasam powder.
Recipe of Rasam Powder: CLICK HERE FOR RASAM POWDER / Sarina pudi
Also check out these easy breakfast recipes such as Rave uppittu / rava upma, Rotti, and more breakfast recipes – CLICK HERE
1 cup = 250ml
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup water
- key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1 tbsp rasam powder / sarina pudi
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp split bengal gram/kadale bele / chana dal
- 1/2 tsp split black gram / uddina bele /urad dal
- 1/2 tbsp peanuts / groundnuts
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- 1/8 tsp hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- Take the rice flour in a bowl. Add the tamarind extract. add water to the tamarind to extract all the pulp. (use from the measured 1/2 cup water)
- Add rasam powder, jaggery powder, salt And mix it well
- Now heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add dals and peanuts.
- after the dals turn golden brown, add turmeric powder, hing and curry leaves, keep mixting
- now add the prepared rice flour, reduce the heat to low and fry it for 5 to 6 minutes,
- if you feel the uppittu is too dry and not cooked well, sprinkle little water and cook it.
- after 5 to 6 minutes – cooking on low flame, uppittu is done now, add chopped coriander leaves, coconut, mix it well. and turn off the heat
- Rice flour uppittu or huli uppittu is best when it is hot.