Akki rotti is a delicacy of Karnataka. this akki rotti is a specialty of malnad, and requires very little oil and it is a gluten free food. Specialty of this particular rice rotti is we make the rotti directly on the hot tava. ( please watch video to know what it is like) . The basic recipe is rice flour and grated coconut, but we can add chopped coriander, onion, chillies, grated vegetables like sorekai / opo , carrot, cucumber and greens like menthya soppu, nugge soppu, ….
Akki rotti almost everyday breakfast in our home. We eat this rotti with mostly chutney pudi or uppina kayi. If you are making this rotti rarely then you should make kayi / coconut chutney to go with this rotti.
Ingredients for making akki rotti:
- 1 cup rice flour
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- 2 finely chopped green chillies (optional)
- ¼ cup shredded fresh coconut
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Little oil for making rotti and Iron Skillet.
- ½ cup water to dip the fingers.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients (except oil) and mix.
- Now add water and mix the ingredients. This should be like an idli batter.
- Grease the skillet with a few drops of oil and heat it skillet on medium high heat.
- Skillet has to be very hot. Now sprinkle some water on the skillet, it should sizzle once ready.
- Place a big spoonful of rotti batter in the center.
- From the center, start spreading the batter to make a circle.
- Dip your fingers in cold water while doing it. Pour little oil on top.
- Cover this rotti with a lid. Once it becomes golden brown, take out the rotti. It usually takes a minute or even less.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
- Serve hot with ghee, coconut chutney or butter. Enjoy!