Soft Rotis made with whole wheat flour!
This whole wheat Gujarati style roti/ chapathi/Chapati can be prepared in many different ways, methods differs from family to family. This is the way I learned from my gujarati friend Kiran. It will be very soft and delicious.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup water or more depending on the wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- More wheat flour for rolling the rotis.
- Cast iron griddle (tava)
- First, add wheat flour, salt and1 to 2tsp oil to the bowl and mix well.
- Now add ½ cup of water and mix it. If you feel the dough is hard, add little more water and knead it for 2 to 3 minutes or until the dough becomes really soft.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Now heat the iron skillet / any skillet on medium high heat.
- Take medium lemon size dough, make it as ball.
- Dip this in the dry flour and roll into a thin, 6 inch circle using a roller pin.
- Put this roti on the hot skillet.
- Once you see small bubbles, turn it to the other side.
- Same on the other side, once you see the bubbles again turn it back.
- Now gently press the roti using paper towel or clean cotton or with the spatula. It will help the rotis to puff up.
- Once it puffs up, immediately take the rotis from the skillet.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dough.
- Once two rotis are done, put a little bit of ghee on one the roti ( preferably on the side facing the skillet ) rub gently to spread it on both rotis. This will keep the rotis soft.
- Store the rotis in a closed container and this way rotis stay softer for 2 to 3 days.
- Enjoy this soft, gujarati s roti’s with subjis, currys, or with your favorite raita.