Dry Jamun or Kala Jamun recipe with detailed video instructions.
This Dry jamun is another mouthwatering recipe I learned from my friend Vidya. First time I had this dry Jamun along with Bonda soup at my friends place. It was a rainy winter evening when we visited my friend Vidya’s house Hot bonda soup and cold dry jamun was waiting for us 🙂 Yum… this was the best combination on a rainy day. I should mention here Vidya is a great cook, prepares exotic foods, each time something different- something new!
This dry jamun recipe – Vidya got it from her sister Priya.
Please do try this dry jamun using khova.
Ingredients for making Dry Jamun:
- 1 cup Khova or 100 grams khova / Khoya / Khoa / Mawa
- 200 grams of jamun Mix
- around 1/2 cup water( depends on the khova)
- oil to fry jamuns
- 4 to 5 cardamoms( powdered)
- 2¼ cup sugar and 3¼ cup water
- 1 to 2 cup – Coconut powder or you can make your own by peeling the skin of dried coconut and then grate it, and pulse it in a mixer to a coarse consistency.
- Take water and sugar in a pan, once the sugar is melted and starts to boil, increase the heat to high and let it boil for 8 to 10 minutes and then add cardamom powder and turn off the heat.
- Either grate the khova or powder it in a mixer, mash it well and add the jamun mix, again combine it well.
- Add water little by little, mix it to make a relatively firm, soft dough.
- Keep the oil in a pan on medium heat to fry the jamun
- Take a tbsp or so jamun mix and make the balls , keep it ready
- Once the oil is hot ( check by adding little jamun dough, it has to come up immediately) add the prepared jamun balls one by one.
- Stir in between to make sure it turns brown all sides evenly
- Once the jamuns turns dark brown color remove it from the oil and transfer it onto a paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure to fry the remaining jamuns.
Making the Dry Jamun:
- Put these fried jamuns to warm sugar syrup. Let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, take this soaked jamun, gently squeeze the syrup and then roll it in the coconut powder,
- we can make around 35 to 40 dry jamuns,
- For best taste refrigerate for an hour or more and serve.