Huranada kadubu | Karigadubu | Festival recipes
Huranada kadubu / huranada karigadubu is a deep fried traditional sweet prepared on the festival days. This is a sweet with crispy outer shell and filling/stuffing or or hurana / puran made with toor dal , coconut, and jaggery.
You can check these avi kadubu / steamed kadubu , karigadubu with coconut jaggery filling, and other sweet recipes HERE.
Also check these archive of PAYASA Recipes as well
Ingredients for making hurnada kadubu:
For making the dough:
- 1/2 cup chiroti rave / fine sooji / fine semolina / sanna rave
- 2 tbsp maida
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- around 3.5 tbsp water
- oil to deep fry the kadubu
For making Hurna:
- 1/2 cup toor dal/ togari bele
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 2 pinches of cardamom powder
- 1 cup water
- Some extra flour
- Take rava, maida, and salt in a bowl. Mix it. then add tbsp oil/ghee. mix it thoroughly .
- Now add water little by little and mix it to get the required consistency. I used 3.5 tbsp water to get proper consistency
- cover it and keep it aside for 10 minutes
To make the hurna / filling:
- Wash the toor dal and pressure cook the toor dal along with 1 cup of water , little oil and pinch of turmeric powder on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 3 to 4 whistles. Let it cool
- Transfer the cooked dal to a thick bottom pan along with jaggery and coconut. Keep this on medium low heat.
- Stir it until the water evaporates, and becomes thick as shown in the video. Turn off the heat and add cardamom powder. Mix it well. Let it cool.
- knead the dough once again and divide the dough into 18 to 20 equal parts, Likewise divide the filling/hurna into 18 to 20 equal parts
- Take a portion, make a ball, and roll into circle as shown.
- Make a paste adding 1 to 2 tbsp of water to 1 tsp maida and keep ready. It acts like a glue,
- Take a portion of the hurna, make it a cylindrical shape as shown in the video.
- Before folding, smear the paste around the edge and then seal both edges firmly. make few kadubu and keep it ready
To fry the kadubu:
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat, once hot reduce the heat to medium low
- Once the oil is hot enough(check by adding a little dough, it has to come up immediately) add the prepared kadubu. quantity depends on the amount of oil you are using
- Stir it constantly so that the kadubu will be fried evenly
- Flip the kadubu and cook both sides . Fry this until the kadubu turns golden brown on all sides
- now kadubu is ready remove and transfer it onto a colander.
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining kadubu
- With the given measurement we can make around 18 bele kadubu.