Sukkinunde Recipe | sukrunde | chikkinunde
Sukkinunde or sukrunde | sikkinunde |chiknunde is a traditional sweet . The days we prepare this sweet depends on the family . In Some families this sweet is prepared during festivals, but in some families it is prepared on the shraddha days(vaidika day) .
There will be variation in the filling but overall this sweet is crisp on the outside and soft sweet filling inside.
This is Vegan , gluten free sweet. F0r more sweets and snack recipes click here on SWEETS and SNACKS
Ingredients for making sukkinunde:
- ¼ cup urad dal / split black gram
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1.5 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 cup or little more powdered jaggery
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- oil to fry the sukkinunde
- Wash and soak the urad dal in 1 cup of water for 2 + hours
- Transfer some water from the soaked urad dal to a cup and grind it to a fine consistency, add water if needed
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, add a tbsp water to mixer jar and
- add that as well.
- Add rice flour, and salt mix it well. add enough water to get the required consistency as shown in the video
- Keep the jaggery in a pan with 1 tbsp water on medium heat and let it melt completely
- Strain the melted jaggery to a thick bottom pan
- Once the water evaporates, and you should be able to make a ball like this turn off the heat and let it cool.
- It takes around 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat
To make the sukkinunde:
- Keep the oil to fry sukkin unde on medium heat
- Divide the hurna/filling into 20 to 25 equal parts (depends on what size sukkinunde you want to prepare)
- Once the oil is hot enough-( check by dropping a little batter into the oil, it has to come up immediately ) dip the hurna/filling ball in the batter and gently drop it into the oil.
- Add one by one, (quantity depends on the amount of oil you use)
- After few seconds flip this and fry this until unde turns golden brown on all sides
- Then remove it and transfer the fried sukkinunde on to a colander.
- if we use less oil to fry the unde will stick together, it is ok you can separate and eat. or keep more oil to get perfect sikkinunde
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter and filling
If you are left with the batter:
- Add salt to taste, red chilli powder (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) to the remaining batter, mix it well.
- Dip vegetables of your choice (example potato, heerekai (ridge gourd) onion, kalekai…. and deep fry the bonda. I am using sliced onion to make bonda.
- with the given measurement we can make around 25 sukkinunde.